At St John's our students in Prep to Year 6 learn Chinese with our specialist teacher Elina Li. Our program engages the students in the culture and language of China, designed specifically to meet the needs of every student. Our Chinese program enables our students to communicate in the language they are learning and understand the relationship between language and culture. It develops their intercultural capabilities and helps them to understand themselves as communicators.
At St John's our students learn Chinese from Prep to Year 6 with our specialist teacher. Our program engages the students in the culture and language of China, designed specifically to meet the needs of every student.
They use a range of texts and technologies which enables them to understand the context around why they are learning the language.
As our Students acquire communication skills in Chinese they develop a greater understanding and appreciation of the culture. Learning Chinese broadens our students’ horizons about the social and cultural opportunities and experiences that are available in our interconnected community.
Chinese dancing was an important part of Harmony Day this year and gave our students a greater understanding and appreciation of the beauty and richness of this special language and culture.
Learning Chinese gives our students an openness to different perspectives and develops their understanding of how culture shapes and extends learners’ understanding of themselves, their own heritage, beliefs, culture and identity.
- contributes to the strengthening of the community’s social, economic and international development capabilities
- extends literacy repertoires and the capacity to communicate; strengthens understanding of the nature of language, of culture, and of the processes of communication
- develops intercultural capability, including understanding of and respect for diversity and difference, and an openness to different experiences and perspectives
- develops understanding of how culture shapes and extends learners’ understanding of themselves, their own heritage, values, beliefs, culture and identity
- strengthens intellectual, analytical and reflective capabilities, and enhances creative and critical thinking.